Modernize Your Lab by Transitioning to STARLIMS – Part 1February 10, 2021
Strengthen Your Company’s Cybersecurity With Managed Services – Part 1February 17, 2021
Part 2 will discuss the Disadvantages of Paper-Based Systems and Advantages of STARLIMS.
Disadvantages of Paper-Based Systems
- Mistake-prone and time-consuming, manual data entry may also be incomplete.
- Documents and spreadsheets may be unsecured, and it will be very difficult to track and identify revisions and deletions of data.
- Operators may omit important workflow steps and miss crucial manual data entries.
- Files that are paper-based may be misplaced, lost, or destroyed.
- Paper files, as well as electronic files like Excel, Word and PDFs may be difficult to find, searched through, and contextually compared.
- Paper files are more likely to be mishandled and not transmitted to the proper personnel for review and authorization before the next stage of the workflow.
Advantages of STARLIMS
- Automation of data capture, requiring data input in preconfigured templates so necessary information is in proper data fields.
- Only authorized personnel is provided access to data and given the ability to revise information. Data revisions are tracked and recorded with the relevant staff advised of modifications. Data is fully traceable, instilling confidence in the security and integrity of data.
- SOPs (standard operating procedures) are maintained, ensuring all required data is obtained or entered into proper electronic records and forms prior to permitting the next stage to go forward.
- Prevents data deletion without authorization. Data storage is automated, improving security, easing access, and alerting users when new documents are ready for review.
- Data repository is configured to ease of search, retrieval, and analysis by authorized personnel, promoting traceability.
- Automatic transmittal of completed records and files to designated staff members for review and authorization before allowing the execution of the subsequent workflow steps.
After the implementation of STARLIMS, Medline benefited immediately as summarized below.
- Savings in time and money for microbiology quality control
- Significant decreases in deviations
- Minimization of manual recording errors
- Automation of instrument calibration data management, saving time and lowering costs
Alpha Engineering LIMS Implementation
Alpha Engineering Associates, Inc. has been involved with the implementation of over 50 LIMS systems ranging in size from small, “off-the-shelf” software systems to very large, highly customized, multi-functional systems, including STARLIMS, for both governmental agencies and private enterprises. For affordable client-focused network consulting services and solutions, please call Alpha Engineering Associates today at (410) 295-9500.