Getting your small business network operational will start with a solid foundation of routers and switches. Below is an overview that will help you plan for what your company’s network will require.
Creating a small business network will require two types of equipment: switches and routers. Although they appear alike, these two devices have different roles.
Switches provide the connections between several devices, such as computers, servers, and printers, on a network inside a facility. A switch allows devices that are connected to share information and communicate with each other. Your network will not function without switches to connect devices with each other.
Routers link several networks. When creating a small business network, one or more routers will be required. A router provides the connection to the Internet for networked computers. It allows them to share one Internet connection, performing as a dispatcher and selecting the best routes for the transmittal of information. A router links your company to the rest of the globe, protecting data from cyber security threats. It is also capable of prioritizing a network’s computers.
Below are three basic steps that will help you build a solid foundation for your small business network.
1. Purchase only business-grade routers and switches for dependable data transmissions and communications. Home or mass consumer network equipment will be unable to cope with commercial requirements as your business expands.
2. Your small business network should be capable of scaling, allowing the addition of functions and features as your organization grows. Features that you may add in the future may include CCTV, VoIP, internal messaging, and wireless apps.
3. Ease of installation, reliability, and redundancy should be emphasized to make changes and upgrades easier while promoting growth in the future.
Alpha Engineering Business Support
Choosing an expert computer technology-support provider is an important decision for your business. Alpha Engineering Associates has been a trusted partner of many companies in the Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis areas since 1990 and offer:
• 24/7 Managed Services for Business Computing Systems
• Network and Mobile Computing Support
• Disaster Recovery Planning
• Software Development
For affordable client-focused network consulting services and solutions, please call Alpha Engineering Associates today at (410) 295-9500.