As discussed in Part 1, a LIMS supports laboratories in automation, data management, and regulatory compliance efforts. LIMS helps accomplish this by standardizing operations, maintaining workflows, and documenting procedures, evolving beyond its traditional function of tracking samples from testing. Part 2 will discuss Key LIMS Benefits.
Key LIMS Benefits
Modern LIMS solutions provide several key benefits for supporting laboratory data management as summarized below:
1. Sample management that enables efficient sample tracking as it is processed by the laboratory and then transferred to storage locations.
2. Automation of workflows, resulting in the elimination of errors arising from manual data entries.
3. User interfaces are configurable, allowing laboratories to retain their individual requirements for existing workflows.
4. Improved data privacy and protection by securing and restricting access to laboratory data.
5. Data backup and data mining are made easier, maximizing data accessibility and value.
6. Reflecting hierarchy of laboratory personnel, distribution access will determined in relation to each user.
7. Authorized users are able to easily generate reports regarding tests, data requirements for audits and analyses, and the samples logged from a specific region or during a particular test period.
8. Billing is streamlined through invoice automation and integration with different payment portals.
9. Eased compliance with regulations such as 21 CFR Part 11, Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), Good Automated Manufacturing Practice (GAMP), Good Laboratory Practice (GLP), HIPAA, ISO/IEC 17025:2017, and ISO 15189.
STARLIMS Integrated Solution
Implementing state-of-the art technology, STARLIMS provides a totally integrated solution that incorporates LIMS, Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN), Scientific Data Management System (SDMS), Advanced Analytics, and Mobile within a single application. This LIMS innovation makes building and maintaining custom interfaces required by third party tools unnecessary, eliminating the need for complex interfacing and integration and significantly decreasing total cost of ownership.
Alpha Engineering LIMS Implementation
Alpha Engineering Associates, Inc. has been involved with the implementation of over 50 LIMS systems ranging in size from small, “off-the-shelf” software systems to very large, highly customized, multi-functional systems, including STARLIMS, for both governmental agencies and private enterprises. For affordable client-focused network consulting services and solutions, please call Alpha Engineering Associates today at (410) 295-9500.