Initially a basic system for tracking samples and data management, LIMS solutions are now capable of managing a variety of laboratory processes, which can be integrated within a single centralized system.
• Assignment and tracking of batches
• Automation of sample logins
• Barcode scanner and printer compatibility
• File import or manual entry of sample data
• Reporting of sample history
• Tools for storage management and mapping
• Automated maintenance or testing schedules
• Calendar events for batch sampling and equipment usage
• Sampling points continually monitored
Users receive notifications for timing of tests, availability of results, and periods of equipment downtime.
• Acquisition of data in real time
• Compliance with GMP and other regulations
• Integration of lab equipment and operational software
• Monitor equipment status
• Workflow steps automated
Entry of Results
• Duplicate samples incorporated
• Linking of batches, samples, results, and tests with external files
• Results automatically processed and downloaded into compatible formats
Tools for Reporting
• Automatic printing, faxing, or emailing of reports
• Data, equipment, inventory, report, and schedule monitoring
• Generate reports automatically on customized templates
• Interactive charts and graphs
• Labels printed as determined by results
• Results integrated with ELN (Electronic Laboratory Notebook)
• Equipment accessible only by certified or trained technicians
• Messaging automated to personnel
• Only appropriate users can view data and reports
• Sample and inventory chain of custody
• Track access/usage of files and equipment
• Traceability of batches, samples, and test results
LIMS is capable of integrating process and specialized testing equipment into a single program. LIMS also eases the access, analysis, and interpretation of data, as well as the tracking and retrieval of samples and laboratory records. However, tasks like operational procurement and billing require separate handling.
Part 4 will provide a Comparison and Contrast of SAP and LIMS.
Alpha Engineering LIMS Implementation
Alpha Engineering Associates, Inc. has been involved with the implementation of over 50 LIMS systems ranging in size from small, “off-the-shelf” software systems to very large, highly customized, multi-functional systems, including STARLIMS, for both governmental agencies and private enterprises. For affordable client-focused network consulting services and solutions, please call Alpha Engineering Associates today at (410) 295-9500.